Scenario-Focused Engineering is published by Microsoft Press in December 2014. This book has 576 pages in English, ISBN-13 978-0735679337.
Blend the art of innovation with the rigor of engineering
Great technology alone is rarely sufficient to ensure a product’s success. Scenario-Focused Engineering is a customer-centric, iterative approach used to design and deliver the seamless experiences and emotional engagement customers demand in new products. In this book, you’ll discover the proven practices and lessons learned from real-world implementations of this approach, including why delight matters, what it means to be customer-focused, and how to iterate effectively using the Fast Feedback Cycle.
In an engineering environment traditionally rooted in strong analytics, the ideas and practices for Scenario-Focused Engineering may seem counter-intuitive. Learn how to change your team’s mindset from deciding what a product, service, or device will do and solving technical problems to discovering and building what customers actually want.
Improve the methods and mindsets you use to:
- Select a target customer to maximize carryover
- Discover your customer’s unarticulated needs
- Use storytelling to align your team and partners
- Mitigate tunnel vision to generate more innovative ideas
- Use experimentation to fail fast and learn
- Solicit early and ongoing feedback
- Iterate using a funnel-shaped approach
- Manage your projects around end-to-end experiences
- Build a team culture that puts the customer first