Ruby Wizardry: An Introduction to Programming for Kids is published by No Starch Press in December 2014. This book has 352 pages in English, ISBN-13 978-1593275662.
The Ruby programming language is perfect for beginners: easy to learn, powerful, and fun to use! But wouldn’t it be more fun if you were learning with the help of some wizards and dragons?
Ruby Wizardry is a playful, illustrated tale that will teach you how to program in Ruby by taking you on a fantastical journey. As you follow the adventures of young heroes Ruben and Scarlet, you’ll learn real programming skills, like how to:
- Use fundamental concepts like variables, symbols, arrays, and strings
- Work with Ruby hashes to create a programmable breakfast menu
- Control program flow with loops and conditionals to help the Royal Plumber
- Test your wild and crazy ideas in IRB and save your programs as scripts
- Create a class of mini-wizards, each with their own superpower!
- Organize and reuse your code with methods and lists
- Write your own amazing interactive stories using Ruby
Along the way, you’ll meet colorful characters from around the kingdom, like the hacker Queen, the Off-White Knight, and Wherefore the minstrel. Ruby Wizardry will have you (or your little wizard) hooked on programming in no time.