Pentaho Data Integration Beginner’s Guide is published by Packt Publishing in October 2013. This book has 502 pages in English, ISBN-13 978-1782165040.
Capturing, manipulating, cleansing, transferring, and loading data effectively are the prime requirements in every IT organization. Achieving these tasks require people devoted to developing extensive software programs, or investing in ETL or data integration tools that can simplify this work.
Pentaho Data Integration is a full-featured open source ETL solution that allows you to meet these requirements. Pentaho Data Integration has an intuitive, graphical, drag-and-drop design environment and its ETL capabilities are powerful. However, getting started with Pentaho Data Integration can be difficult or confusing.
“Pentaho Data Integration Beginner’s Guide, Second Edition” provides the guidance needed to overcome that difficulty, covering all the possible key features of Pentaho Data Integration.
“Pentaho Data Integration Beginner’s Guide, Second Edition” starts with the installation of Pentaho Data Integration software and then moves on to cover all the key Pentaho Data Integration concepts. Each chapter introduces new features, allowing you to gradually get involved with the tool. First, you will learn to do all kinds of data manipulation and work with plain files. Then, the book gives you a primer on databases and teaches you how to work with databases inside Pentaho Data Integration. Moreover, you will be introduced to data warehouse concepts and you will learn how to load data in a data warehouse. After that, you will learn to implement simple and complex processes. Finally, you will have the opportunity of applying and reinforcing all the learned concepts through the implementation of a simple datamart.
With “Pentaho Data Integration Beginner’s Guide, Second Edition”, you will learn everything you need to know in order to meet your data manipulation requirements.
What you will learn from this book
- Install and get started with Pentaho Data Integration
- Get started with MySQL
- Learn the ins and outs of Spoon, the graphical designer tool
- Transform data in several ways such as performing simple and complex calculations, cleaning, counting, de-duplicating, filtering, and ordering
- Learn to get data from all kind of data sources as plain files, Excel spreadsheets, databases, XML files and more, then preview it, and send it back to the same or different destinations
- Discover how to read and parse unstructured files
- Use Pentaho Data Integration to perform CRUD (create, read, update, and delete) operations on databases
- Learn the basic concepts of data warehousing
- Populate a data warehouse with Pentaho Data Integration including loading slowly changing dimensions, junk dimensions, time dimensions and more
- Implement business processes by scheduling tasks, checking conditions, organizing files and folders, running daily processes, treating errors, and so on in a way that meets your requirements