Building an FPS Game with Unity is published by Packt Publishing in October 2015. This book has 326 pages in English, ISBN-13 978-1782174806.
Unity, available in free and pro versions, is one of the most popular third-party game engines available. It is a cross-platform game engine, making it easy to write your game once and then port it to PC, consoles, and even the web, making it a great choice for both indie and AAA developers.
Building an FPS Game in Unity takes readers on an exploration of how to use Unity to create a 3D first person shooter (FPS) title, leveraging the powerful UFPS framework by VisionPunk and Prototype/ProBuilder 2.0 by ProCore3D.
After some setting up, you will start by learning how to create custom weapons, prototype levels, create exterior and interior environments, and breathe life into our levels. We will then add polish to the levels. Finally, we will create a custom GUI and menus for our title to create a complete package.
What You Will Learn
- Use UFPS to build custom weapons with custom meshes and behaviors
- Explore level design as you prototype levels, making use of Prototype to build levels out quickly
- Build environments that are realistic as possible while keeping peak performance and repetitiveness down
- Review tips and tricks on how to create environments using both terrain for outdoor areas and a modular workflow for interiors
- Develop a number of different encounters that your players can fight against, from a simple turret enemy to complex AI characters from Shooter AI
- Discover how to create unique objects such as exploding barrels and objects you can interact with
- Create a custom GUI to help your game stand out from the crowd
- Package your game for release, create an installer, and get your game out into the world
Who This Book Is For
This book is for those who want to create an FPS game in Unity and gain knowledge on how to customize it to be their very own. If you are familiar with the basics of Unity, you will have an easier time, but it should make it possible for someone with no prior experience to learn Unity at an accelerated pace.