Rapid D3.js [Video] is published by Packt Publishing in February 2015. This book has 1 Hour 49 minutes pages in English, ISBN-13 978-1783554416.
Rapid D3.js begins with setting up your development environment, and then dives into how data binding works and how it’s similar to jQuery. We’ll take a look at building a football fan site and using spreadsheet data (TSV) to build a team roster, and learn about scaling, drawing axes, data manipulation, and even how to animate bars in five amazingly simple lines of code.
Driving HTML tables is nice, but what we really want to see is graphics. So next, we’ll build a histogram from a CSV file of goals scored over the season. But D3 isn’t just for building tables or creating graphs. You can also build a website framework driven from a CSV file. We’ll also be creating a simple Bootstrap menu, and the possibilities demonstrated by this quick mini project are limitless.
Finally, we’ll take a couple of sample D3 visualizations such as Word Cloud and Sunburst and incorporate our data into them. Last but not least, we’ll see how to build a website menu framework and techniques on how to utilize third-party visualizations within it.
This video course will take you from the foundational bindings of Data-driven Documents to understanding strategies to create and extend amazing visualizations.
What You Will Learn
- Learn about virtual data binding, the true power behind D3.js
- Understand how D3 imports CSV/TSV table formats and JSON data and display it nicely
- Harness the power of D3’s drawing and tweaking tools to transform the imported data for multiple uses
- Master the methods of creating axes, graphs, charts, lines, and shapes in SVG to effectively present your data
- Combine Bootstrap with D3, and use it to drive a web page architecture
- Discover how to add interaction to visualizations, from simple HTML selectors to arcs in a sunburst
Who This Video Is For