Configuration Management with Chef-Solo [Books + Codes] is published by Packt Publishing in July 2014. This book has 95 pages in English, ISBN-13 978-1783982462.
Chef is a configuration management tool used to handle the hardest part of infrastructure, easing the deployment of servers and applications to any infrastructure. Chef-Solo is an open source version of the chef-client that allows you to use cookbooks with nodes, without requiring access to a Chef server. In any infrastructure, managing servers is one of the most critical tasks for any server administration. Chef-Solo makes the process of booting and provisioning many machines at the same time much easier.
Configuration Management with Chef-Solo will take you through the workflow of managing one or more servers. It includes many sample recipes to start with, and gradually you will take a look at the different interaction points and will also learn how Chef-Solo helps minimize your efforts to build and manage different machines. You will learn how to run servers while executing Ruby code. This hands-on guide will help you to understand the importance of this amazing configuration management tool.
Who This Book Is For
This book is aimed at system administrators and system engineers who have an understanding of configuration management tools and infrastructure. For novice administrators, it contains easy-to-use application recipes to get started immediately.
What You Will Learn
- Define your infrastructure as code in Chef
- Set up a testing and production environment with Chef-Solo
- Test the incremental development of a project with Vagrant
- Develop recipes and manage web and database roles
- Automate tedious manual tasks
- Learn to use data bags and write clean cookbooks
- Create a Docker image using cookbooks
- Manage and scale your cloud infrastructure by automating your configuration management