Learning ROS for Robotics Programming is published by Packt Publishing in August 2015. This book has 458 pages in English, ISBN-13 978-1783987580.
Starting at an introductory level, this book is a comprehensive guide to the fascinating world of robotics, covering sensor integration, modeling, simulation, computer vision, navigation algorithms, and more. You will then go on to explore concepts such as topics, messages, and nodes. Next, you will learn how to make your robot see with HD cameras, or navigate obstacles with range sensors.
What’s new in this updated edition? First and foremost, we are going to work with ROS Hydro this time around. You will learn how to create, visualize, and process point cloud information from different sensors. This edition will also show you how to control and plan the motion of robotic arms with multiple joints using MoveIt!
Who This Book Is For
In order to make the most of the book, you should have a C++ programming background, knowledge of GNU/Linux systems, and general skills in computer science. No previous background in ROS is required, as this book takes you from the ground up.
What You Will Learn
- Install a complete ROS Hydro system
- Create ROS packages and metapackages, using and debugging them in real time
- Build, handle, and debug ROS nodes
- Design your 3D robot model and simulate it in a virtual environment within Gazebo
- Generate and adapt the navigation stack to work with your robot
- Integrate different sensors such as Range Laser, Arduino, and Kinect with your robot
- Visualize and process Point Cloud information from different sensors
- Control and plan the motion of robotic arms with multiple joints using MoveIt!