Programming ArcGIS with Python Cookbook is published by Packt Publishing in September 2015. This book has 380 pages in English, ISBN-13 978-1785282898.
ArcGIS Desktop is the leading desktop solution for performing GIS tasks. The ArcPy site package enables Python programmers to access the GIS functionality provided by ArcGIS Desktop to automate geoprocessing tasks. Whether you are new to ArcGIS or a seasoned professional, you almost certainly spend time each day performing various geoprocessing tasks. This book will teach you how to use the Python programming language to automate these ArcGIS Desktop geoprocessing tasks and make you a more efficient and effective GIS professional.
The book begins with the fundamentals of starting to use Python with ArcGIS, followed by recipes on managing map documents and layers, including how to find and fix broken data links in these files. The focus then shifts to automation of map productions and finding, retrieving, and executing geoprocessing tools.
In the second part of the book, you will learn to create custom geoprocessing tools and how to use the Attribute and Location tools to select specific features. Next, the book covers usage of the ArcPy Data Access Module, along with various key aspects of geoprocessing.
The third part of the book covers topics for advanced users including the REST API, and also teaches you to use Python with ArcGIS Pro. The book finishes with appendices covering how to automate Python scripts, and the five things that should be at the back of every GIS programmerÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s mind.
What you will learn
- Manage your map document files, layer files, feature classes, and tables
- Programmatically update layer properties and symbology
- Find and fix broken data links in your map document files
- Automate map production, printing, and the creation of PDF map books
- Develop custom geoprocessing tools that can be shared with others
- Query and select data from feature classes and tables
- Create new feature classes or tables and add, update, and delete records
- Customize the ArcGIS Desktop interface with Python add-ins