Learning Apache Thrift is published by Packt Publishing in December 2015. This book has 157 pages in English, ISBN-13 978-1785882746.
This book will help you set aside the basics of service-oriented systems through your first Apache Thrift-powered app. Then, progressing to more complex examples, it will provide you with tips for running large-scale applications in production environments.
You will learn how to assess when Apache Thrift is the best tool to be used. To start with, you will run a simple example application, learning the framework’s structure along the way; you will quickly advance to more complex systems that will help you solve various real-life problems. Moreover, you will be able to add a communication layer to every application written in one of the popular programming languages, with support for various data types and error handling. Further, you will learn how pre-eminent companies use Apache Thrift in their popular applications.
This book is a great starting point if you want to use one of the best tools available to develop cross-language applications in service-oriented architectures.
What You Will Learn
- Understand the need for cross-language services and the basics of Apache Thrift.
- Learn how Apache Thrift works and what problems it solves.
- Determine when to use Apache Thrift instead of other methods (REST API), and when not to use it.
- Create and run an example application using Apache Thrift.
- Use Apache Thrift in your applications written in different languages supported by Apache Thrift (PHP, Python, Ruby, Java, and C++).
- Handle exceptions and deal with errors.
- Modify code in different languages.
- Use Apache Thrift in the production environments of big applications.
Who This Book Is For
If you have some experience of developing applications in one or more languages supported by Apache Thrift (C++, Java, PHP, Python, Ruby, and others) and want to broaden your knowledge and skills in building cross-platform, scalable applications, then this book is for you.