F# 4.0 Design Patterns is published by Packt Publishing in November 2016. This book has 318 pages in English, ISBN-13 978-1785884726.
Following design patterns is a well-known approach to writing better programs that captures and reuses high-level abstractions that are common in many applications. This book will encourage you to develop an idiomatic F# coding skillset by fully embracing the functional-first F# paradigm. It will also help you harness this powerful instrument to write succinct, bug-free, and cross-platform code.
F# 4.0 Design Patterns will start off by helping you develop a functional way of thinking. We will show you how beneficial the functional-first paradigm is and how to use it to get the optimum results. The book will help you acquire the practical knowledge of the main functional design patterns, the relationship of which with the traditional Gang of Four set is not straightforward.
We will take you through pattern matching, immutable data types, and sequences in F#. We will also uncover advanced functional patterns, look at polymorphic functions, typical data crunching techniques, adjusting code through augmentation, and generalization. Lastly, we will take a look at the advanced techniques to equip you with everything you need to write flawless code.
What you will learn
- Acquire the practical knowledge to use the main functional design patterns
- Realign some imperative and object-oriented principles under the functional approach
- Develop your confidence in building and combining first-order and higher-order functions
- Learn to use core language pattern matching effectively
- Make use of native F# algebraic data types in place of custom-built classes
- Recognize and measure the difference in resource consumption between sequences and materialized data collections
- Navigate and use F# Core libraries with ease by seeing patterns behind specific library functions
- Master writing generic polymorphic code