Getting Started with SpriteKit is published by Packt Publishing in February 2016. This book has 182 pages in English, ISBN-13 978-1785887338.
SpriteKit is Apple’s game engine to develop native iOS games. Strongly boosted by the Apple Inc., Cupertino, it has increased in popularity since its first release. This book shows you the solutions provided by SpriteKit to help you create any 2D game you can imagine and apply them to create animations that will highlight your existing apps.
This book will give you the knowledge you need to apply SpriteKit to your existing apps or create your own games from scratch.
Throughout the book, you will develop a complete game. The beautiful designs implemented in the game in this book will easily lead you to learn the basis of 2D game development, including creating and moving sprites, and adding them to a game scene. You will also discover how to apply advanced techniques such as collision detection, action execution, playing music, or running animations to give a more professional aspect to the game. You will finish your first game by learning how to add a main menu and a tutorial, as well as saving and loading data from and to the player’s device.
Finally, you will find out how to apply some mobile games techniques such as accelerometer use or touch detection.
What you will learn
- Create and configure a SpriteKit project from scratch
- Load and manage the basic elements of games such as sprites, labels, and geometrical primitives
- Handle touch events, detect collisions, and play sound audio files
- Create complex elements, animate sprites, and run the parallax effect
- Complete your games with key components such as a main menu, transitions between scenes, a tutorial, and the ability to load and save data
- Increase the efficiency of your device using the accelerometer or by adding shaders, lights, and shadows
- Gain complementary techniques such as creating or finding audio resources, applying SpriteKit to apps, or using third-party tools