GameMaker Programming By Example is published by Packt Publishing in January 2016. This book has 211 pages in English, ISBN-13 978-1785887963.
This book is excellent resource for developers with any level of experience of GameMaker. At the start, we’ll provide an overview of the basic use of GameMaker: Studio, and show you how to set up a basic game where you handle input and collisions in a top-down perspective game.
We continue on to showcase its more advanced features via six different example projects. The first example game demonstrates platforming with file I/O, followed by animation, views, and multiplayer networking. The next game illustrates AI and particle systems, while the final one will get you started with the built-in Box2D physics engine. By the end of this book, you have mastered lots of powerful techniques that can be utilized in various 2D games.
What You Will Learn
- Understand the GameMaker: Studio interface and tools to quickly create the various assets used in your games
- Translate some of the GameMaker: Studio drag and drop functions to the GameMaker language
- Create games with random elements for exciting gameplay
- Use the basic GameMaker file I/O and encryption systems
- Utilize the GameMaker networking functions to create multiplayer games
- Give AI routines to your enemies to make challenging gameplay
- Create particle systems to give your game exciting graphics
- Understand the various debugging techniques available in GameMaker: Studio
Who This Book Is For