Nagios Core Administration cookbook is published by Packt Publishing in February 2016. This book has 386 pages in English, ISBN-13 978-1785889332.
Nagios Core is an open source monitoring framework suitable for any network that ensures both internal and customer-facing services are running correctly and manages notification and reporting behavior to diagnose and fix outages promptly. It allows very fine configuration of exactly when, where, what, and how to check network services to meet both the uptime goals of your network and systems team and the needs of your users.
This book shows system and network administrators how to use Nagios Core to its fullest as a monitoring framework for checks on any kind of network services, from the smallest home network to much larger production multi-site services. You will discover that Nagios Core is capable of doing much more than pinging a host or to see whether websites respond.
The recipes in this book will demonstrate how to leverage Nagios Core’s advanced configuration, scripting hooks, reports, data retrieval, and extensibility to integrate it with your existing systems, and to make it the rock-solid center of your network monitoring world.
What you will learn
- Manage the configuration of Nagios Core with advanced techniques to achieve fine detail in your checks
- Find, install, and even write your own check plugins
- Filter notifications to send them to the right people or programs at the right time
- Work around difficult network accessibility issues and delegate checks to other machines
- Tweak a Nagios Core server to achieve both high performance and redundancy in case of disaster
- Process the results of checks performed by other machines to monitor backups and similar processes
- Extend Nagios Core to allow advanced scripting, reporting, and network visualization behavior