CouchDB and PHP Web Development Beginner’s Guide is published by Packt Publishing in June 2012. This book has 304 pages in English, ISBN-13 978-1849513586.
CouchDB is a NoSQL database which is making waves in the development world. It’s the tool of choice for many PHP developers so they need to understand the robust features of CouchDB and the tools that are available to them.
CouchDB and PHP Web Development Beginner’s Guide will teach you the basics and fundamentals of using CouchDB within a project. You will learn how to build an application from beginning to end, learning the difference between the “quick way” to do things, and the “right way” by looking through a variety of code examples and real world scenarios.
You will start with a walkthrough of setting up a sound development environment and then learn to create a variety of documents manually and programmatically. You will also learn how to manage their source control with Git and keep track of their progress. With each new concept, such as adding users and posts to your application, the author will take you through code step-by-step and explain how to use CouchDB’s robust features. Finally, you will learn how to easily deploy your application and how to use simple replication to scale your application.
What you will learn from this book
- Set up a web development environment from scratch
- Dive into CouchDB and learn how it looks at databases, documents, design documents, and views
- Conceptualize and create a simple PHP framework from scratch that will interact directly with CouchDB
- Create the ability for users to sign up, log in, and reset their password through our application using CouchDB
- Allow users to create posts and leverage design documents, views, and lists to do the heavy lifting
- Learn how to add some of the bells and whistles commonly used by modern social networks
- Add security and deploy your application to production
- Learn how to use CouchDB to replicate your database
Each chapter follows the creation of a social networking application with step-by-step instructions. This means that you will have easily created a complete, working application by the end of the book.
Who this book is written for
This book is for beginner and intermediate PHP developers interested in using CouchDB development in their projects. Advanced PHP developers will appreciate the familiarity of the PHP architecture and can easily learn how to incorporate CouchDB into their existing development experiences.