BackTrack 5 Cookbook is published by Packt Publishing in December 2012. This book has 296 pages in English, ISBN-13 978-1849517386.
Over 80 recipes to execute many of the best known and little known penetration testing aspects of BackTrack 5
- Learn to perform penetration tests with BackTrack 5
- Nearly 100 recipes designed to teach penetration testing principles and build knowledge of BackTrack 5 Tools
- Provides detailed step-by-step instructions on the usage of many of BackTrack’s popular and not-so- popular tools
BackTrack is a Linux-based penetration testing arsenal that aids security professionals in the ability to perform assessments in a purely native environment dedicated to hacking. BackTrack is a distribution based on the Debian GNU/Linux distribution aimed at digital forensics and penetration testing use. It is named after backtracking, a search algorithm.
“BackTrack 5 Cookbook” provides you with practical recipes featuring many popular tools that cover the basics of a penetration test: information gathering, vulnerability identification, exploitation, priviledge escalation, and covering your tracks.
The book begins by covering the installation of BackTrack 5 and setting up a virtual environment to perform your tests.
We then dip into recipes involving the basic principles of a penetration test such as information gathering, vulnerability identification, and exploitation. You will further learn about privilege escalation, radio network analysis, Voice over IP, Password cracking, and BackTrack forensics.
“BackTrack 5 Cookbook” will serve as an excellent source of information for the security professional and novice alike.
What will you learn from this book
- Install and set up BackTrack 5 on multiple platforms
- Customize BackTrack to fit your individual needs
- Exploit vulnerabilities found with Metasploit
- Locate vulnerabilities Nessus and OpenVAS
- Provide several solutions to escalate privileges on a compromised machine
- Learn how to use BackTrack in all phases of a penetration test
- Crack WEP/WPA/WPA2 Encryption
- Learn how to monitor and eavesdrop on VOIP networks
This is a cookbook with the necessary explained commands and code to learn BackTrack thoroughly. It smoothes your learning curve through organized recipes.
Who this book is written for
This book is for anyone who desires to come up to speed in using BackTrack 5 or for use as a reference for seasoned penetration testers.