WebGL Beginner’s Guide: Book + Code is published by Packt Publishing in June 2012. This book has 376 pages in English, ISBN-13 978-1849691727.
- Each chapter is loaded with code examples and exercises that allow the reader to quickly learn the various concepts associated with 3D web development
- The only software that the reader needs to run the examples is an HTML5 enabled modern web browser. No additional tools needed.
- A practical beginner’s guide with a fast paced but friendly and engaging approach towards 3D web development
WebGL is a new web technology that brings hardware-accelerated 3D graphics to the browser without installing additional software. As WebGL is based on OpenGL and brings in a new concept of 3D graphics programming to web development, it may seem unfamiliar to even experienced Web developers.
Packed with many examples, this book shows how WebGL can be easy to learn despite its unfriendly appearance. Each chapter addresses one of the important aspects of 3D graphics programming and presents different alternatives for its implementation. The topics are always associated with exercises that will allow the reader to put the concepts to the test in an immediate manner.
What you will learn from this book
- Understand the structure of a WebGL application
- Build and render 3D objects with WebGL
- Load complex models using JSON and AJAX
- Set up a lighting model using shaders, physics of light reflection, and lighting strategies
- Create a camera and use it to move around a 3D scene
- Use texturing, lighting and shading techniques to add greater realism to 3D scenes
- Implement selection of objects in a 3D scene with the mouse
- Advanced techniques to create more visually complex and compelling scenes
This book is a step-by-step tutorial that includes complete source code for all of the examples covered. Every chapter builds on top of the previous one thereby giving the reader an immediate feeling of progression. Each block of code is explained, and 3D web development concepts are diagrammed and covered in detail.
Who this book is written for