VMware ESXi Cookbook is published by Packt Publishing in March 2014. This book has 334 pages in English, ISBN-13 9781782170068.
VMware ESX and VMware ESXi hypervisors are used for providing the foundation for building and managing a virtualized IT infrastructure. vSphere 5.1 delivers the same industry-leading performance and scalability as prior vSphere releases, with several additional benefits including its improved reliability and security. VMware vSphere 5.1 is based on the ESXi hypervisor architecture, a thin purpose-built hypervisor that does not depend on a general purpose operating system, which does away with the requirement of persistent storage. So we can now store it on a dedicated compact storage device, drastically reducing the hypervisor install footprint to less than 150MB.
“VMware ESXi 5.1 Cookbook” explores every aspect of VMware administration. We will learn to configure and to administer vSphere including high availability (HA), distributed resource scheduler (DRS), fault tolerance (FT), vMotion , svMotion, virtual machine provisioning, update manager, and distributed virtual switches. We will also explore advanced level operations with lots of tips and tricks to ease your job.
“VMware ESXi 5.1 Cookbook” offers a comprehensive understanding of new features released with vSphere 5.1 and how it enhances your VMware virtual environment. Starting with the installation and configuration of ESXi and vCenter and followed by the configuration of various core components including the network, storage, virtual machine administration, security, performance, and patching, along with the high availability of the virtual infrastructure.
Also exploring how the vSphere environment can be secured, learn to monitor your virtual environment using default alarms available with the vCenter server and to collect performance reports for your vSphere environment.
What you will learn from this book
- Install ESXi, configure network management, and customize the host using host profiles
- Understand the installation and configuration of the vCenter virtual appliance along with advanced vCenter server options
- Configure the network for a virtual infrastructure using standard switch and distributed switch.
- Configure various network policies and the private VLAN using vSphere web client
- Implement and configure various storage options and optimize storage using storage I/O control and storage profiles
- Create and configure various clusters including high availability(HA), distributed resource scheduler (DRS), dynamic power management (DPM), and storage DRS
- Provision and manage virtual machines, configure fault tolerance for VMs, and understand the methods to use the snapshot, template, and clone tools
- Secure ESXi hosts using firewall, configure AD authentication, and strengthen the security for virtual machines
- Understand how to view performance graphs and export the graph for future reference Configure vCenter alarms and export logs for troubleshooting
- Learn the installation steps of the update manager and upgrade the ESXi host and virtual machine using update manager
“VMware ESXi 5.1” is written in a Cookbook style, learn through practical real world recipes and examples.
Who this book is for
“VMware ESXi 5.1 Cookbook” is written for technical professionals with system administration skills and foundation knowledge of virtualization and who need to learn about the installation, configuration, and administration of vSphere 5.1. Essential virtualization and ESX or ESXi knowledge is advantageous.