Tableau Dashboard Cookbook is published by Packt Publishing in May 2014. This book has 336 pages in English, ISBN-13 9781782177906.
With increasing interest and enthusiasm for data visualization in the media, businesses are looking to create effective dashboards that engage as well as communicate the truth of data. Tableau makes data accessible to everyone, and is a great way of sharing enterprise dashboards across your business. The deceptively simple Tableau interface hides a variety and complexity of features available for dashboarding, and this book will help you to become familiar with these features.
This book will familiarize you with the features of Tableau and enable you to develop and enhance your dashboard skills, starting with an overview of what dashboard is, followed by how you can collect data using various mathematical formulas. It will also walk you through the various features of Tableau including dual axes, scatterplot matrices, heat maps, and sizing. Finally, this book will help you consider what to do next with your dashboard, whether it’s on a server or in collaboration with other tools.
What you will learn from this book
- Customize your designs to meet the needs of your business using Tableau
- Use Tableau to prototype, develop, and deploy the final dashboard
- Communicate and share your dashboards internally within your business, or externally with the rest of the world via Tableau public
- Integrate your data to provide mashed-up dashboards
- Be inspired with color, motion, and other design tricks when designing dashboards
- Formulate your business rules into Tableau formulae that you can reuse
- Consider your business users and data consumer needs as you learn about color theory and psychology, and put them into action
This book follows a stepbystep approach to taking a data source and building up a series of dashboard elements, ultimately resulting in a series of dashboards for your business. Each topic is explained sequentially in the process of creating a dashboard from design to delivery. There are also detailed explanations of the basic and advanced features of Tableau that serve the needs of dashboard artists.
Who this book is for
If you are a business user or developer who wants to use Tableau to create dashboards that use data visualization theory and techniques, this is the book for you. Whether you are new to Tableau or an expert, with this book you will be able to master data visualization and put it into practice, creating Tableau dashboards that make a difference in your organization.