Scala for Java Developers is published by Packt Publishing in April 2014. This book has 282 pages in English, ISBN-13 9781783283637.
Scala for Java Developers is a step-by-step guide full of easy-to-follow code taken from real-world examples explaining the migration and integration of Scala in a Java project.
With this book, you will first get comfortable with the Scala syntax and its Java-like ecosystem, and then dive into new ways of building reactive web apps using the Typesafe stack including the actor-based Akka framework, the Play web framework, and the emerging Slick framework for persistence. The book will then teach you how to review useful tools for unit, integration, and functional testing; demonstrate how integrating with external systems applies to the Scala world and what its benefits are.
From learning the Scala syntax interactively to writing modern, scalable, reactive applications, this book will help you to take your skills to the next level by solving complex problems in a concise and maintainable way.
What you will learn from this book
- Apply and control the Scala Ecosystem
- Migrate Java code to Scala
- Discover Play Framework web development
- Test data using Scala’s testing frameworks
- Manipulate XML and JSON in Scala
- Learn the Scala syntax interactively
- Integrate Java projects in Scala
- Build reactive web apps using the Typesafe stack
- Use new systems including the Akka framework, the Play web framework, and the emerging Slick framework
- Tackle big data challenges
This step-by-step guide is full of easy-to-follow code taken from real-world examples explaining the migration and integration of Scala in a Java project.
Who this book is written for
If you are a Java developer or a Java architect working with Java EE-based solutions and want to start using Scala in your daily programming, then this book is ideal for you. This book will get you up and running quickly by adopting a pragmatic approach with real-world code samples. No prior knowledge of Scala is required.