Rails 4 Application Development HOTSHOT is published by Packt Publishing in April 2014. This book has 378 pages in English, ISBN-13 9781783286294.
Rails is a rapidly moving, open source, web development framework, and keeping up to speed with it is a big task. You might have already built applications using it, but there have been significant changes in the syntax and semantic of the Rails framework in the latest upgrade.
Rails 4 Application Development Hotshot shows you how to build the most popular types of applications using Rails 4, and highlights new ways to do things. The book also closely follows lots of the best practices, gems, and popular solutions already known to the community, and tracks the changes in these. This book brings new ideas to refactor and restructure code to make it perform better in production, and enables you to write production-ready code.
What you will learn from this book
- Learn about new syntaxes and semantics introduced in Rails 4 and their practical usage
- Discover new ways to use the components and gems from previous versions of Rails
- Set up full-text search, endless scroll, and modal boxes
- Create mountable engines and make the code reusable
- Make multiple APIs (such as Google Maps and Twitter) work with each other
- Create API-only applications to serve as a backend for mobile applications
- Understand the basics of the new testing framework in Rails 4
- Create a video sharing website using Rails 4 along with HTML5 and CSS3 concepts
Attractive practical projects to polish your application building skills, through a straightforward, highly focused and interesting approach towards application development.
Who this book is for
If you are a developer who is already familiar with the basics of the Rails framework and have previously worked with Rails 3.2 or earlier, then this is the ideal book for you. It is assumed that you have some prior experience with the development of applications. This book will help you to upgrade your existing knowledge and also ensure its applicability. You will be expected to setup Rails, MySQL / PostgreSQL, Mongodb and required dependencies themselves.