Twilio Cookbook is published by Packt Publishing in March 2014. This book has 334 pages in English, ISBN-13 9781783550654.
Have you ever wanted to integrate phone features into a project you were working on? Maybe you wanted to send SMS messages to your customers about the latest sales? Maybe you want to set up a company directory with voice mail? Or maybe you want to add two-factor authentication to your web sites to verify your users? Since Twilio was launched in 2007, developers have had an easy and efficient way to do these tasks. The power of Twilio’s API is huge and lets you add any type of phone solution to your website from two-factor authentication to verify your users, to setting up a company directory and a voice mail system. The possibilities are endless.
This book is a must have for Twilio development, providing you with a number of clear step-by-step exercises. It helps you take advantage of the real power of the Twilio API, and gives you a good foundation in using it in your websites.
This book examines the Twilio API, and breaks down the mystery and confusion that surrounds adding telephone functionality to your websites. As you go through the recipes, you will learn how to take advantage of the Twilio API quickly and painlessly.
You will learn how to build your own IVR system, company directory, and voicemail box, and also how to set up a two-factor authentication system to verify users, track orders via SMS, send surveys using SMS, allow users to buy phone numbers, set up and delete sub-accounts, and check to see if a human is answering a phone call. We will also combine Twilio with other APIs to build a handy local search system such as a local business search, movie listings search, and web search. We’ll also dive into call queues and how to handle multiple incoming callers to agents. If you want to discover the endless benefits of Twilio, then this book is for you.
What you will learn from this book
- Add two-factor authentication to your web apps to verify your users
- Explore how to generate usage records and set up voice mails and emergency calling systems
- Conduct surveys using SMS and make your account more client friendly
- Build a fully functional conference calling system
- Use APIs to build a local search system to find businesses, movies, and weather forecasts
- Delve into SMS messaging and learn how to set up order tracking, bulk SMS sending, and a group chat system
- Set up an appointment reminder using SMS
- Build an Interactive Voice Response menu system
- Construct your first PBX system
- Understand OpenVBX plugins to extend its existing functionality
- Utilize Twilio’s new picture messaging, and build a collaborative Picture Message Gallery
- Use Twilio client to make calls from your browser
- Discover how to handle multiple incoming callers
This book is a practical, hands-on guide that provides the reader with a number of clear, step-by-step bite-size recipes.
Who this book is for
If you are a developer and want to learn about integrating Twilio’s API into your websites for telephone solutions, then this book is for you. Basic knowledge of PHP and MySQL is expected.