GameMaker Game Programming with GML is published by Packt Publishing in April 2014. This book has 350 pages in English, ISBN-13 9781783559442.
GameMaker: Studio is a popular game engine used to publish games to a variety of platforms. Although GameMaker: Studio’s drag-and-drop functionality makes creating games simple and fast, utilizing scripts can really help organize and speed up GameMaker’s workflow exponentially.
This hands-on guide will help you build a strong foundation in programming in GameMaker Language by taking you through several example games. Knowledge gained by the end of the book can be applied so you can build your own line of exciting games.
What you will learn from this book
- Create script resources as well as custom scripts for events
- Learn how to import, compress, and play sound effects and background music
- Build particle effect systems to give games a little extra flare
- Track and display user interface elements such as health and scoring
- Program and interact with simple yet challenging artificial intelligence
- Read player input from a variety of sources
- Utilize alarms to create a clean series of events
- Establish a finite state machine to track a character’s current state
- Complete easy and fun games from start to finish
A step-by-step approach to build your knowledge, starting from a simple “hello world” to discovering arrays, classes, and so on. Each learning point is explained in a practical way, carrying out tasks within the GameMaker development environment.
Who this book is for
If you are a GameMaker: Studio developer, having little experience with writing scripts and are looking to expand that skill set, this is the book for you. It is assumed that you can already navigate GameMaker: Studio to some degree. Because this book focuses on the scripting and integration of scripts to aid in the production of a game, instead of game design, it would also be useful for you to have access (or have the ability) to create the visual and audio assets that are presented in the examples throughout this book.