CryENGINE Game Programming with C++, C#, and Lua is published by Packt Publishing in November 2013. This book has 276 pages in English, ISBN-13 9781849695909.
CryENGINE is a complete 3D game development solution that can run on multiple platforms. It is orientated around giving intuitive tools to the developer. A variety of interactive video games can be created using CryENGINE. CryENGINE is one of the most beginner-friendly engines out there to learn. If you are interested in diving into the various systems and understanding their workings in a way that is easily understood, then this book is for you.
This book provides you with the knowledge to tame the powerful but hard-to-master CryENGINE. CryENGINE Game Programming with C++, C#, and Lua dives into the various systems and explains their workings in a way that can be easily understood by developers of all levels. It provides knowledge on the engine along with step-by-step exercises and detailed information on the backend implementation of the subsystems, giving you an excellent foundation to build upon when developing your own CryENGINE games.
Written by developers with years of CryENGINE experience, this book breaks down the common confusion that encompasses the CryENGINE engine code, guiding you through a series of chapters aimed towards giving you the ability to create your own games in a rapid yet productive fashion. You will learn everything you need to know in order to create your own CryENGINE-powered games as well as detailed information on how to use the engine to your advantage. By teaching systems such as audio, particle effects, rendering, AI, networking, and more, we’ll be exposing the most inner parts of CryENGINE that commonly confuse programmers. If you want to quickly gain the knowledge required to create your own CryENGINE game title, then this book is for you.
What you will learn from this book
- Make and modify Flowgraph nodes to give your visual scripting a clear advantage
- Utilize custom entities, from simple physicalized objects to complex weather simulation managers
- Control the flow of the game in real-time by creating game rules and modes
- Create custom actors, in order to create unique elements controllable by human players
- Use the Artificial Intelligence system to your advantage with custom AI units
- Design custom User Interfaces to give your player a way to navigate the game’s menus and HUDs
- Implement multiplayer and networking elements for your game, allowing several players to share the experience with each other
- Master game physics and how to create your own physicalized objects that can interact with the game world
- Understand the process of using and manipulating the CryENGINE renderer to your advantage, including custom shader authoring
- Bring your game to life by introducing effects such as particles and sound
- Debug and profile your game code to get the most out of the computers running your game
- Implement stock GameDll systems such as vehicles and weapons
This book provides you with step-by-step exercises covering the various systems of CryENGINE and comprehensively explains their workings in a way that can be easily understood by readers of any skill level to help you develop your very own CryENGINE games.
Who this book is for
This book is intended for developers looking to harness the power of CryENGINE, providing a good grounding in how to use the engine to its full potential. The book assumes basic knowledge of the engine and its editor in non-programming areas.